Tuesday, June 12, 2007

This bothered me....
I haven't really used this blog for anything other than sharing pictures and funny stuff the kids say. But today I came across a quote in somebody's signature on a forum and it really bothered me. A lot. It frustrates me that those with a more liberal view feel it's completely acceptable to lump a "type" together. And Christians seem to be the most targeted group. As a Christian and conservative, I'm always told that I'm narrow-minded. But to me, the statement below is about as narrow-minded as it gets. Granted, there ARE Christians that fit this statement. But frankly, there are also NON-Christians that fit this statement. And many other "groups". I have so much more I could say about this. But I would love to hear other opinions.

"The greatest single cause of athiesm in the world today is Christians. These are people who acknowledge Christianity with their lips, walk out the door, and deny it by their lifestyle. This is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable. "

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

People who use words as armor against Jesus, to me anyway, have always proven their ignorance, in the lowest sense of the word. Atheists are among the most intolerant people on this planet. It's sad and it's frustrating. They are searching for something they will never find, because they will never believe what Jesus came to tell us....they figure if they can't hold it or see it, it isn't real.
Remember what Jesus said to Nicodemus, who questioned Jesus about being born again: "....We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye recieve not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?" (Sorry, I have a King James bible!)
I used to get very frustrated listening to atheists spew their attitude at any and all who would hear them. I can feel only sorrow for them, because the Word is there, for anyone who would listen, and they have closed their hearts and minds to it. A closed mind gathers no knowledge; a closed heart gathers no love. Jesus would have told them to have faith, a word not in their vocabulary....\,,/ Auntie M

Jane Anne said...

The quote is more about being anti-Christian than about being atheist. If the person’s reason for not believing in God is solely based on the mistakes Christians make, it is very shallow way of determining beliefs. That being said, I googled the quote, found a person who stated it and went to her blog. It may not be the same person but this person had the following quote on her blog: Love isn't about making someone else dance to your tune, it's about sharing the music." God is love (see 1 John 4:8). God gives us freedom to believe what we want. The point of this music quote (for me today, anyway) is that life isn’t about attacking other people’s beliefs, it’s about sharing God’s love. Based on my opinions of these 2 quotes together, the only thing I can think to do is to pray for her and her family. So, I just said a prayer for her.

Jane Anne said...

A couple more things: The quote originated from christian author Brennan Manning. From what I can tell, it has also been used in the DC talk song, "What If I stumble?" Perhaps, the intent of the quote isn't as offensive as it first seemed.

Kimberly said...

As I read the quote it was very familiar to me. I'm pretty sure as Jane Anne said that it is used in a DC Talk song. And I'm also pretty sure that the person speaking is Dr. Billy Graham. Personally, when I read the quote it just makes me think about my actions and if I am being a stumbling block or if I am showing Christs love at all times. Sadly this is one of the reasons I don't have a christian fish symbol on my vehicle. I'm sure the way I drive really upsets some people and I don't want them seeing my "fish" as I speed pass them and have that be one more "mark" against christianity as a whole. Make sense? I don't really know.

Anonymous said...

Well, there are those who "talk the talk" but don't "walk the walk". That's true of many faiths (and non-faiths), but it is particularly irritating when Christians shun their fellow man whom they consider "unworthy" merely because they are of a different Christian faith (Catholics, Lutheran, etc.) Seems like un-Christian-like behavior, to me.