Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Day at Mt. St. Helens

Hayley has been wanting to see Mt St Helens for so long - she has this strange fascination with natural disasters! We were fortunate to have a beautifully warm & sunny day and it was great just to get outside with the kids. I was up here with my family about two months after it erupted in 1980 and I remember it so clearly. I should try to dig out some photos from that trip, it was like being on the moon, everything just covered in ash. It's just incredible to still see the devastation it caused in the blast zone, 28 years ago. Hard to believe it's been so many years and I remember it so clearly! Here are a few pics from today!


How cool are these two? Just chillin' and having some lunch on the way up....you can barely see the mtn. in the background.

Yes, I was actually there.....I'm never in the pictures so I always think my kids will wonder if I just never went with them anywhere. :)


It's still amazing to see how scarred the mountain looks.


Hayley with her hand on the lava dome.


Such a great view from the tip-top of Johnston Ridge Observatory.


We met this cute little guy on the walk back to the car. He was like 5 ft from us just scarfing down food.


I love when animals eat like this, it's so endearing, I don't know why.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh,cool! Last year when Allen and I were there (before they closed the visitors center all the way at the top) we saw smoke and ash plumes coming up! Very much fun! Did you see any or was the great lava monster sleeping?? \,,/

Jane Anne said...

The 1st picture: the girls ARE cool and so, so cute! Great to see a picture of you, too. Looks like a fun trip!

bennettsgotoseminary said...

What a fun trip! I think it's hilarious that Hayley likes natural disasters :)