Just a post...
I've noticed that I tend not post on this blog unless I have a photo or a video to share, or something funny a kid said....I have none of that. (Well, except how Ainsley says "britches" but since this is a FAMILY blog, I won't go into details...needless to say I got in lots of trouble).
I just noticed yesterday how enjoyable this Christmas season has been for me so far. I mean, I ALWAYS love Christmastime but life is always so crazy and busy that I've been missing out on the down time. But we have had so much time to just read books by the fire, or make fun crafts or do things spur of the moment, I am just amazed. And it's not to say we haven't been busy, we really have....though thankfully soccer and ballet are over! But as for the big blocks of down time, I am attributing it to two things.
1) Getting my shopping done before Thanksgiving - we started this about 3 years ago. Anyone who lives in this area knows the ridiculous traffic on Meridian and around the mall at Christmas. Maybe I'm getting too old but I just can't stand the traffic and crowds anymore. I like peaceful shopping! So getting it all done before the crowds arrive has saved my sanity in ways I can't describe. :)
2)My dear friend Michele gave me a wonderful idea to do the "Guay's 25 Days of Christmas" (and by the way, you have to sing it everytime you say it and it cracks me up everytime I hear Hayley or Ainsley sing it!). Anyway, I made a paper chain and each piece has a different "to-do" on it - sometimes a place to go, sometimes a craft to make, sometimes just something simple. For example, last night was dinner and Christmas books by candlelight. We did have to improvise a bit and read books by the tree instead. But we literally sat for an hour around the tree, reading books and even got out our Christmas carol book and sang a few songs. (my kids don't know all these songs!! Horrors!! I must teach them!!) Anyway, doing this has afforded us so many of these relaxing and fun moments, which really lead into great conversation time with the kids. And of course conversations are always a great adventure with a silly 3-1/2 year old and an imaginative 7-1/2 year old. They are so fun and I'm learning to enjoy them in ways that I didn't see before. What else is on the list? Well, tonight is hot cocoa and puzzle night. Tomorrow (eek!!) is "Kids Choice Day" - the girls are going to go crrrrraaaaazzzzyyyyyy! Sunday we get a picnic breakfast in front of the fireplace. It's just been so fun - thank you Michele for this idea!!!! :)))) (and everything is a surprise to them each day so if you read this, please don't tell my kids what to expect next!) I'm seriously wondering how I can manage to do the "31 Days of January" and the "28 Days of February" etc....hmmm, maybe that's a stretch.
I hope all of you are making time to just relax and enjoy the quiet times of the season. It really gives us so much time to reflect on what we're celebrating....the birth of our Savior!! What a gift!
Happy Friday everyone!!!
3 comments:
Was anyone reading 'Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas'??? smile....\,,/
OK, I keep saying the same things over and over but what a great idea! What other things are you doing for it? I'm actually writing this down. I don't have an original idea in my head!
I loved this post Melissa! And I'm thinking about stealing your "Guay's 25 Days of Christmas" idea for the McCoy's next year, also. It sounds SPECTACULAR!! Though I guess I'm going to have to get one of you guys to sing it for me, so I know how it goes.
But seriously, it is a wonderful idea and way to make sure you take the time to enjoy the true meaning of Christmas.
Post a Comment